Tuesday, May 29, 2007

PLANET B-BOY at the Drive-In, by David S. Dennis


Picture yourself sitting in a chair, in an outside theater site filled with hundreds of people. A titanic screen ahead of you with a stage in front of it and flipping men competing for attention from the crowd. Soft rain pellets pinching your face. This is where I was.

My initial impression of Planet B-Boy (Directed by Benson Lee) before watching it was that it was going to be just another hip-hop themed dance movie. But it was not. It was so much more. Basically the film revolves around the art of b-boying, which means to dance “funky”. By this I mean dance from the heart and soul. The main protagonists were dance groups that came from all over the world, who wanted to battle in Germany. The beginning of the film focuses on the history of b-boying and then goes on to the different groups who want to settle the score.

The reason I love this movie so much (since I was jumping in my seat cheering while also trying to bust a move of my own) is that it has a well-constructed formula that informs, entertains, and persuades. It was informative about the whole history of b-boying and where the phenomenon is today. It was comedic in that it showed the interactions between different ethnic groups, cultures, and countries all fighting for one goal. It was persuasive in that it inspires me to get up and start b-boying and shows me what a rich and fascinating history the hip-hop culture has.

Just go watch this uplifting movie so that you can feel the surge of electricity flowing up your spine which will have you dancing in your seat.

No comments: